Saturday, January 17, 2009

WPS Draft officially takes off...


The WPS Draft was held yesterday in St. Louis and I kept a close watch through twitter as most of the fans did. I did not work from the WPS offices most of this past week because the staff took off to good ole St.Louis for the NSCAA Convention and even more excitedly, our draft! 

I was lucky enough to attend the WPS West Coast Combine in San Diego in December, so I saw many of the Draft Picks play on the Combine fields. It was wild. I was glad to see many of them were drafted, like Christina DiMartino of UCLA. Let me tell you she is a treat to watch on the field. I have played and watched soccer for many years and watching DiMartino tap the ball around was stunning. I was not familiar with her game much, until I saw her play at the WPS Combine, and she instantly became the star on the field, it was hard to not watch her swift feet. Anyway, enough with the DiMartino talk, just see her with your own eyes and I am sure you will agree. So, many of those stand out players at the West Coast Combine made the cut like Abdullah, Abegg, Falk, Igwe, etc. 


Check out the full list I was able to post up at the WPS Fan Corner.  Oh and there are pictures too!

Anyway, now the teams have developed their rosters and the only thing standing between today and a complete roster is the open try out set to take place by each team in Feb. Open Try Outs always seem exciting to me, because you never know what will shock and what unknown player can become a pro over night. 

Oh I thought I would share with you all how the WPS Offices in San Francisco are doing.  Not only are the rosters and the league expanding dramatically, so is the WPS headquarters. Tuesday,  a few of us who were left in the office got the experience the wall coming down, literally. The back wall of the WPS offices were torn down in order to expand the office. Mighty exciting. After the layer of dust settled and the wall was gone, it was a pretty site. What do you think?



Oh ya. 

Cheers, 
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment